Who links to me?

Friday, July 28, 2006

Reasons that I love Door County

Mike and I spent last weekend in Door County to celebrate his birthday. It was wonderful. It had been a few years since I went there for a day trip and even longer since I have stayed overnight. But, we stayed two nights is a cabin (delux cabin with shower, plumbing, kitchen, etc). It was great. Here it the itinary of how we spent the weekend.

  • Friday night: Drove up after work, stopping for a wonderful fish fry and fried cheesecake bites (really, someone decided that it was a good idea to deepfry cheesecake, and as disgusting as it sounds was amazing!). We drove up in the dark and Mike got to see the sky without Milwaukee's light pollution. We arrived at our cabin very late and went to bed. Although I should make mention of the fact that we had NO pillows in the cabin. They had informed me that we needed our own lines, so I brought sheets and towels, but no blankets and no pillows. We did however stuff our towels in outr pillowcases and voila! Pillows.
  • Saturday morning we drove up to Fish Creek to have breakfast at the Cookery. We had granola french toast, I had cherry sauce, Mike had apple sauce and of course whipped cream. It was fabulous.
  • We then headed to meet our kayak guide and head out for our four hour kayak adventure. We were one couple out offive and had a guide. We put in near the tip of the penisula and did a lovely ten mile paddle. The water was clear, the scenery gorgeous, and at one point I even hopped out of the kayak and swam in the lake. The water was cool but fabulous. However, I would suggest that getting back into your kayak in the middle of the lake is not entirely easy. The guide told me that I would have no probelm. Well. He. Was. Wrong. I have to say that I did not dump the kayak, and more importantly Mike into the lake, but I felt like a fish flapping around on land. I am sure that I looked completely ridiculous! But it was fun.
  • After four hours in the sun and on water we were hungry. We headed to Summer Kitchen where they have the best soup on the planet. It is so well known that there is a soup bar with four or five different types and hot, freshly baked bread. We then had custard sundaes at Not Yet Liked custard stand and headed back to change and get ready for the evening play.
  • Ever since I was a kid I have spent time vacationing in Door County. With six kids it was hard for my parents to take us anywhere else so many, many summers were spent there developing a familiar routine that always included a trip to Pinnisular Players outdoor theatre. The gounds themself are magic, flowers in bloom, lush trees, strung lights, small outdoor bar, a firepit, and the lake. We saw a comedy that was too long and too slapstick for my taste, but we did get to enjoy the new theatre (they are in the process of building a permanent structure). We didn't make it back in time for us to build a campfire at our cabin, which was a sacrifice.
  • Sunday morning we were up early to get our name on the long list at Al Johnston's the Sweedish pancake house made famous by the grass and goats that reside on the roof top. Another helping of pancakes with cherries and whipped cream. Hey, we were on vacation!
  • We also took time to wander around Ephraim, to see the water and enjoy the views. Then we hopped into the car to make our way through Pennisula State Park to see the lighthouse and climb the lookout tower. We ran out of time or we would have rented bikes and toured the park a pied. I think that we took over 150 picture (which, once again are on Mike's camera and hence downloaded on his computer! I'll post some soon, I promise!)
  • Then to Wilson's for an ice cream cone and finially had to admit that the weekend was over.
  • We must have consumed over 5000 calories a piece, although the kayaking offset some.
  • We started a list of things to come back and visit, including a luke-warm committment from Mike to try camping. :-) Which I think that he will really enjoy, since he enjoys everything else that is assoicated with camping: the fire, the hiking, the biking, the swimming, the woods, the eating; he just has never slept in a tent yet. Or shared the community bathrooms. But, he'll find that isn't so bad.
  • We think we're going back next weekend to camp with the girls. Now that will be an adventure!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home