Who links to me?

Thursday, March 02, 2006

I really do have a new job.

I met yesterday afternoon with the Chair and the Vice Chair of Women's Choice, the organization that offered me the position of Executive Director. I went through the job description, I saw my new office, and was given material to start reading.

This is really happening.

First, let me say that I haven't been this thrilled about a professional move in a long, long time. I am now connected to some (if not all) of the political women player in the state. They have power, they have influence, they have money and major respect. I am now working in the circle of these women. I feel like I have entered the circle of those in the know, and these are THE women that can make/break a political future for me. If I really do want to be a senator, or the governor, or a congresswoman, well...then I am in the right spot. It is thrilling. And a bit terrifying (easier to talk about dreams and aspirations in the abstract then to actually go out and make them happen).

But. It feels right.

Essentially I will be working to raise major money for women candidates who are pro-choice. There will be membership drives, house parties, I'll get to work with legislators and other elected women, and I will have to manage three components of the work. The first is a 527 or conduit where individuals can put money into an account (as much as they want) and then direct it to candidates through the conduit for elections. The republicans use this as a major way to give more money than legal individual limits. Its one of the great loop holes in American politics--and while I hate the concept and it goes against some of my values to thwart the system, I also beleive that being left out of the game for the sake of "morality" is not helping anyone either. The second part is to raise money for the administration, the office, the website (still not up and running) and my salary. The thrid is to run a political action committee (PAC) fund where the organization decides how and when to spend the individual's money.

I will (at some point) get into the whole network of powerful Board of Directors of other allied organizations in the state. Planned Parenthood. The League of Conervation Voters. Etc.

I'm officially hopping the fence from non-partisan work to landing with my feet firmly planted in the partisan electoral world.

I start by the end of March. And I can't wait to start moving!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home