Who links to me?

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

End of the Year.

1. What did you do in 2005 that you’d never done before?
I am not sure? I need to think about that one for a minute. Ok, back after writing the rest of this-I saw killer whales in the ocean. And I kayaked on the sea. I had only kayaked on lakes before.

2. Did you keep your New Years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I did, mostly. I quit smoking. I started running. And I got back into my size 8 clothes. That was important. I did the trainings that I wanted for my professional goals. But, sadly I didn't make any progress on the money stuff. I actually may be worse off than I was a year ago.
So, add "learn how to manage money" as a 2006 goal--also I have committed to run 500 miles including some races-working up to a marathon by the end of 2006.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth? No. But my sister-in-law and brother will have baby #2 in early February and I just learned that my college roomate is having a baby!

4. Did anyone close to you die? My grandfather died in June.

5. What countries did you visit? I didn't leave the US in 2005. I did start to explore the Northwest part of this vast country-went to the Seattle region twice.

6. What would you like to have in 2006 that you lacked in 2005?
Better money habits. Better dating habits for the early part of the year. Better communication (on my part) with loved ones who live far away.

7. What dates from 2005 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
September 18th--I turned 30. And had one of the best parties ever!!! And October 23rd. I wrote an email that day.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Easy question. Quitting smoking. I also made HUGE progress on the home-makeover front, painting all the rooms, ripping out all the carpet and fixing the obvious broken things. Yeah me.

9. What was your biggest failure? The whole incident with JB. It was a nightmare. Just glad it is OVER.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury? Not really. It was a disease free year!

11. What was the best thing you bought? My subscription to match dot com.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration? All of my brothers and sisters--we supported each other, hung in there together, and simply loved each other through this year of my parent's divorce. My three brothers and two sisters are truly friends who will stand by each other through anything.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? JB and the whole having a fiance in Texas. Need I say more?

14. Where did most of your money go? I just got my tax bill and I know that almost $5,000 went to property taxes.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? The last two months with Mike have been awesome and I am totally excited thinking about next year. I was also excited when my mom told me she was taking me on vacation for my 30th birthday. And that Princeton wants me to go to grad school there. I am also thrilled about some of the work that I am doing right now.

16. What song will always remind you of 2005? No clue???

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:(a)Happier or Sadder? Much happier. (b)Thinner or Fatter? Thinner! Wearing my favorite jeans again! (c)Richer or Poorer? Poorer. I think I've eluded to that.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of? I am not sure that I could have done much more of anything this past year. There was way more activity in my life than ever before.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Not sure, I think I did what I needed to do this year.

20. How will you be spending Christmas? Christmas Eve is the big-ole-bash. Christmas Day we'll spend having breakfast at a diner with my dad and then going to a movie. Christmas night I'm going to spend with Mike.

21. Did you fall in love in 2005? Flat on my face.

22. How many one-night stands? 0

23. What was your favorite TV program? Football broadcasts were the only real tv that I have watched. I do love that show, Grey's Anatomy but I always forget to turn my tv on for the show.

24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? I prefer not to think about it....

25. What was the best book you read? The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime was by far one of the best ever. Also I loved Lies My Teacher Told me. I also read a bunch of geeky political books.

26. What was your greatest musical discovery? ??? or My friend's band, Floormodel.

27. What did you want and get? More fun in my life.

28. What did you want and not get? An ipod. I thought for sure I would have one by now, but not yet.

30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I turned 30 on September 18th, but the party was on Saturday the 17th and lasted into the early morning hours of the 18th. My friend's band played at a coffee shop that I love. I had rented the place for the night and friends, family and co-workers all stopped by. My sister also flew in from Seattle to spend a week with me and partied with me. As midnight approached we all went back to my house for champagne toast at midnight-more shots-and I even smoked a joint with my brother (way out of charachter). I had an awesome, awesome time.

31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? "Immeasurably?" I don't think anything.

32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2005? I wore brown more. I bought some of those gaucho pants and big black boots. But really I am still a jeans girls and wish I could wear them all day, every day. I grew my hair really long. That was my newest fashion trend and I plan to keep it for the forseeable future.

33. What kept you sane? Me, sane? Hah!

34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Hillary Clinton and Barack O'Bama.

35. What political issue stirred you the most? Immigration is still at the top of my list, but there are too many to list. Basically I am stirred and outraged that we are in this fucked-up political climate where there is so much wrong with our country that people actually beleive that they can do nothing to change it.

36. Who did you miss? Liza and Anna and Molly. And everyone else that I missed seeing this summer at sonci. I regret that I just didn't go.

37. Who was the best new person you met? I met a lot of really cool people in 2005. Dave, Jon, Tanysha,--but Mike wins.

38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2005. I'm not sure? I learned that I really love my job--and that matters tremendously in life. I also learned more about my own internalized racism from some great mentors and friend. I keep learning that I can't do everything and that having a messy house doesn't bother me very much!

39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
"Driving away from the wreck of the day and I thinking about calling on Jesus." Anna Nalik. (this a quote from the first half of the year)
And a current quote would be more happy and upbeat and fun. But I am not sure I have any music like that! (feel free to submit suggestions).
Or, the theme song for what makes me think of my agitation table (and best women circle ever) is RESPECT, by Aretha Franklin.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kristen said...

An addition:

To question #20: What are you going to do for Christmas?

Add: On Christmas Eve morning I will be playing football and (hopefully) getting another opportunity to throw Mike into the snow. Since, aparently, he likes that sorta thing.

2:15 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home