Who links to me?

Saturday, December 10, 2005

Wake Up Seattle...

It is Saturday morning and I just returned from the University Campus. It is about 9:30am-so I was able to peek into the morning rituals of the locals.

First, I noticed how many undergrads were running to class (Saturday morning? Running? To Class?). It didn't translate to me at all. Until I was informed that they have exams this morning. Ok, now I get why all the blonde girls were looking so uncool this morning. For once they have bigger concerns than wardrobe and makeup.

Second, I noticed the level of active people...there have been at least 25 kayakers sail by the bay window. Some are gliding with an impressive speed, clearly attempting a morning workout. Others meander at a gentle pace obviously waking themselves with the fresh morning air.

I also observed the frenzy at the coffee shops. I have always assumed that the whole "legend of the Seattle coffee" was over stated. But no. There is literally a Starbucks every three blocks, 90% of the people that were walking had their cup o'joe in hand. I predict that by lunch time the city will be humming with a cafiene buzz, no doubt it will be audible to the foreigners. I am sure to the local it is just white noise.

Today we have access to a car. I am planning on taking my sister to run some final errunds before I depart tomorrow. We'll do a bit of her Christmas shopping and get any loose ends tied up neatly. I plan on just driving to see a bit of the city. No real desire to do much exploring at this point. Future trips are being planned and the city isn't going anywhere. It was great to just escape to a place where work and children seem far away.

But now that I seem rested and my sister seems just fine I will be ready to board the plane home tomorrow. Not yet ready for the drop in temperature. But ready to be near the people that I miss.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home