Who links to me?

Friday, December 09, 2005

Values Discussion Part I.

I am a faith-based political organizer. Rarely do people actually know what that means or what I do,and it usually takes me some time to explain it to them. Usually they are still confused.

One thing that I am working on now -- and that is of tremendous importance to me is the "values and morals" debate that is going on in the public arena. It seems as if the Right has taken the word values and made it their own. And they win. Their values seem to be clear: government is bad, individualism rules the day, and the free market is the best way to make financial decisions. I tend to shudder at the implications of their value set. But I am outraged and frustrated that my values are not being defended by anyone. The Left is on the defensive and lacks courage and clarity to do anything but sit with their thumb up their ass. I am as progressive and liberal as they come...but where is the leadership and the vision offered to counter everything the Right flaunts in our face?

My job lately has been to think and engage others in a deep discussion about the values that we hold as people of faith, or simply as participants in the world and society. I come from this from my faith perspective that we are all created equal and that the golden rule is the most supreme law of the land. I know secular people who share the same guiding principles.

My questions for those of you out there who might care enough to respond are these...

"Where do you see hope in the world? And where do you see a violation of your values?"

Post your responses...a compelling discussion could be underway. I have other questions. I want honesty. I want stories. I want to hear what you think about the way our society is headed.

I'll give some of my answers in a future post....

1 Comments:

Blogger 'PeachBelle' said...

Hi Kristen, i love your blog and your spirit tremendously... i'll be back a bit later to join in with your values discussion, its something close to my heart also...
peace,
P'Belle

4:13 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home